Image by Gil Shaddock
Image by John Wynn
CLICK THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER
National Submarine Memorial
[Conning tower barrel, bridge structure, shears and upper gun ]
Nat'l Sub Memorial site - Stone inscription
See below - Scroll down
( CLICK HERE for a larger
- and more recent
GW image contributed by Gil Shaddock )
Submarine Force (NAUTILUS) Library and Museum
Historical Ship Nautilus
Submarine Force Museum NavSubBase
New London Groton, CT 06349
(Image by Gil Shaddock)
CLICK THUMBNAIL FOR LARGER IMAGE
Image and text from John Carcioppolo
Cdr. Groton Base - USSVI
25 May 2002
|The bell for the USS SEA OWL SS-405,
until recently, was on permanent loan from the Naval Historical Center,
and in the custody of Shipmate William Fasolo. Bill is a Life Member of
USSVI Groton Base and a member of the prestigious HOLLAND CLUB. The bell
was maintained and cared for by the Central CT Chapter of the U.S. SUBMARINE
This beautiful bell, through the efforts
of Shipmate Fasolo, Wally Krupenevich, and the other members of the Central
CT Chapter of the U.S. SUBMARINE VETERANS WWII, has now been transferred
to Groton Base. It will be proudly displayed at the clubhouse and used
at future Memorial Services for the TOLLING OF THE BOATS.
To Bill Fasolo and our Shipmates in
SubVetsWWII Central CT, On behalf of the U.S. SUBMARINE VETERANS GROTON
BASE, I cannot thank you enough for passing the honor of caring for the
bell for USS SEA OWL SS-405 to our organization. WE SALUTE YOU and assure
you that it will always be displayed with honor.
It is truly beautiful and what a tone
when it is rung.
Click thumbnails for full images
Underway photo by Dave Hull
- former X-1 crewmember
X-1 Display image is from the
US Naval Academy
7, 1955 at Oyster Bay, LI, NY
USS X 1, the U.S. Navy's only midget
submarine, was built by the Engine Division of Fairfield Engine and Airplane
Corporation. Commissioned Oct 7, 1955. Length 49'7" beam 7', displacement
36.3 tons submerged.
It served for research and testing
to assist the Navy in evaluating its ability to defend harbors against
other small submarines. The tests helped to determine the offensive capabilities
and limitations of this type of submersible. It was originally powered
by a hydrogen peroxide/diesel engine and battery system. However, an explosion
of its fuel supply in May 1957 resulted in its conversion to diesel-electric
The X 1 was taken out of service on
December 2, 1957, and inactivated in Philadelphia. Towed to Annapolis three
years later, it was reactivated and attached to Submarine Squadron 6 for
experimental duties in Chesapeake Bay. In tests conducted by the Navy Research
Laboratory to learn more about the properties and actions of sea water,
X 1 performed for scientists who observed from a platform suspended beneath
the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
The X 1 was decommissioned on February
16, 1973, and transferred to the Naval Ship Research and Development Center,
Annapolis for use as a historical exhibit at the Center,
X-1 is scheduled to be moved to her
new display site at the Nautilus Museum in Groton CT after the 2001 USNA
The NAUTILUS MUSEUM has a
special page recently created that contains many more images and excellent
information about the USS X-1 which is now in their custody in Groton,
Connecticut. GO HERE
U.S. SUBMARINE VETERANS MEMORIAL
Dedicated on 13 July 2002
U.S. SUBMARINE VETERANS MEMORIAL HIGHWAY.
This is the name approved by the Connecticut House,
Senate and Governor Rowland. The section of dedicated highway consists
of Connecticut Route 12 starting in Groton at the intersect with I-95,
past the SUBASE and approximately 8 miles to Preston CT, just before Route
U.S. SUBMARINE BASE - Change of Street Signs
|Public Works Department put up approximately
175 new street signs to recognize the Sailors who were lost with their
WWII-era submarines for which the streets were named.
Base, New London Conn.
(Webmaster note) The images above are
from the bases of a set of paired windows. They are are located just to
the right of the Chapel's main entrance.
This pair of windows was completed
The text of the window lettering near
the base is from the Hymn of William Whiting.
(Left) "Eternal Father! strong
to save, Whose Arm hath bound the restless wave,
(Right) O hear us when we cry to
thee, for those in peril on the sea" .
(Webmaster note) The text above is
an excerpt copied from the Chapel on the Thames/Memorial Windows brochure
that was provided by Chaplain Ted Edwards CDR CHC, USN [ Command Chaplain
(Code 00E) Naval Submarine School, P. O. Box 700, Groton, Connecticut 06349-5700
The entire brochure text has been (will
be) placed in a webpage format along with selected images of the chapel,
both interior and exterior with some views of windows.
Chapel on the Thames
U.S. Naval Submarine base, New London,
The Chapel on the Thames was conceived
and constructed as a memorial to the
submariners, officers and men, who
lost their lives in the service to their country
during the second world war. It was
dedicated December 3, 1944."
This website has information such as
directions to the museum and hours plus a good history of the Nautilus.
for full(new) image
from USS George Washington SSBN-598
The base has many buildings named in
memory of submariners including: Dealey Center,
McNeil Hall, Bledsoe Hall, Morton Hall,
Cromwell Hall, Darby Hall, and Wilkinson Hall.
Return to MAIN INDEX, go to NAMES PROJECT
(The UNITED STATES SUBMARINER MEMORIAL BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES PROJECT)
Missile muzzle hatch - SubBase
Missile - SubBase
Veterans National Memorial (East)
Contains the Wall shown above
and the USS FLASHER Bridge.
This National Memorial is located
at the foot of the
Gold Star Memorial Bridge on
the Groton side.
29 May 2003
of Transfer of U.S. SUBVETS WWII National Memorial East
Report submitted by John Carcioppolo
See more links on this memorial
from Paul Wittmer's website
Click for full image
Image by Gil Shaddock
by Robert Moore USN/Ret
Wall of Honor
National Submarine Memorial at the Sub Base
Contains names of Submariners
who died Dec 41 to Sep 45.
Individual Submarine Plaques for the boats lost during Dec 41 to Sep 45
From USSVI GROTON Base, HERE IS A COLLECTION
of more images
3"/50 Deck Gun, VFW
3"/50 Deck Gun, VFW
A reservoir and memorial was
dedicated to David Wasel who died aboard
the THRESHER. The memorial
is a stone monument and a 4000lb anchor and chain.
Breault - Medal of Honor - 1924
USS 0-5 sinking 28 October
Henry Breault's Gravesite is
in the St. Mary Cemetery.
He died at age 41, just two
days before the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Information provided by Jim
Also see article in Undersea
Warfare - Spring 1999