Click thumbnail for full image
Image from HNSA
USS Alabama Battleship Commission
Alabama Memorial Park
PO Box 65
Decommissioned at Portsmouth, New Hampshire
16 February 1946. Served for Naval Reserve training at Washington, D.C.
1947-1967. Inactive Fleet, Norfolk, 1967-1969.
Donated by the Navy to the USS
ALABAMA Battleship Commission on 14 April 1969.
Arrived in Mobile, Alabama under tow from Norfolk 18 May 1969.
Dedicated and opened to the public 4 July 1969
Left is a memorial to Howard Gilmore
- Right is a memorial to a submarine lookout.
The ships bell of the USS HERRING.
This bell was given to a plank owner, Capt. Oliver Bagdy, prior to leaving
on her 8th WW II patrol from which she never returned. Memorial to the
USS HERRING displays the names of the crew.